One forum post I read suggested that successful dark field microscopy with some Zeiss microscopes depended on getting the dark field annulus at just the right position relative to the condenser. So I thought I would have a go at making a filter holder using the central bright field space in the phase plate.
I used an oldcornflakes box, some waterproof PVC glue and some tape to produce this – can’t wait to see if it works!
30 minutes later…..Oops! The tape underneath got caught in the bottom of slot above the condenser and the cardboard insert and dark annulus I put in it got torn out – I had to dismantle to condenser to remove the bits. Thankfully, nothing got damaged. Back to the drawing board…….