I’ve been trying to take photographs of the moon at different stages. My intention is to label features on the terminator, when they can be viewed more clearly. It is quite amazing what a difference it makes to have features accentuated by the shadows.
Several club members were looking at the moon after our last virtual meeting. Heather suggested that we looked for ‘lunar v’ and ‘lunar x.’ I’ve processed the image that I took on that evening with my Canon Powershot SX720HS. I’m using a variety of resources to help identify features. The main one is ’21st Century Atlas of the Moon by Charles A. Wood and Maurice J. S. Collins. I’m sure I will have made mistakes, but I have found the whole process very educational. I’ve attached the pdf version of my efforts – click on this link – 7 days old 29th may 2020
Had a great time last night. We really enjoyed chatting as the sun set. As it got dark we got set up and had a bit of practice with our kit. We even managed to see the phase of Venus. I think we learnt quite a lot. We’ve gone through everything today and noted down what we learnt. Sorry there are no good pics to share, just the evidence that we were there. Shame we didn’t see the Starlink Satellite Train. We’ll just have to keep on trying.
M106 from the 22nd and 23rd March. I havent been able to get any HA images of 106 yet but im pleased so far with the LRGB data. I did have an issue with what appears to be CA (chromatic aberration) although this is likely my fault as im new to combining RGB images. Ian King is currently looking at the scope for evaluation. 100×1.5min luminance 20×1.5min RGB
I am using a 0.5x Astro Engineering AC555 0.5x Barlow lens screwed onto bottom of Quark.
Notice that Quark can’t go fully into 2″-1.25″ adapter due to fact that extension on bottom Quark from AC555 would damage 2″ UV filter on bottom of that adapter if I pushed it in further. In spite of this I can’t fully push extension tube into focuser or otherwise the Quark won’t reach focus. This is first time I have successfully used Quark without star diagonal and extension tube required to make up for length of light path in star diagonal.
Decided to add in some HA i had collected on M101 bringing out some lovely red star forming regions. Its a bit of a learning curve with this like everything in astronomy as i had to mask the master HA considerably before adding it to the red channel. By masking so heavily i inevitably discarded most of the HA data i had collected which is a disappointment but thats something ill know for future galaxy images.
Well it’s the moon, in black and white, colour and HSO narrowband!