Home observatories

Update on reorganisation of log cabin/observatory

Looks much better now. Do need to fit in dismantled HEQ5 Pro and EQ6 Pro on its new mobile base but otherwise this will be as it will (hopefully) continue to be!

Marquee now close to empty – red telescope is for sale. Large pile in corner is all going too.

For some reason today, WordPress insists on putting two of the images upside down, whatever I do!

Andy

Tacking down and trimming edges of shingles in home observatory

It always amazes me how long the start and end of a project takes whilst the middle bit shoots along at pace.

Such is the case with my roofing project on my home observatory.

Following previous posts in which Rhys and I replaced the roof of the log cabin with shingles, today I tacked down the edge of the shingles to the side of the roof and trimmed it off. I bought a new pair garden shears for the latter job!

It took a couple of hours to do what at first sight seemed such a small job.

At least the log cabin can stay as it is now until I get around to the final tasks of adding batons over the edges, trimming the edges of the shingles to match the new batons, and replacing the glittering.

Observant readers of this blog entry will note the streaks of creosote on the inside of the window of the log cabin. Oops! I only coated the outside but some it got inside during process. I will need to empty the back end of the cabin to get to the window to clean it!

I also need to clean off the glittering although if this proves difficult might be easier to replace it……Any one know of good method for cleaning off creosote from plastic and glass?

Andy

Creositing the home observatory

I felt it was worth painting a protective layer of creosote on edges of the log cabin home observatory roof before I tacked down the shingles over the edges.

This I did today – weather looked fine.

Just as I finished the rain came down!

The gloves I am wearing are vetinerary gloves designed to allow vets to put their arms in cows’ bottoms up to their elbows! I used them to stop getting creosote on my arms when I was painting the stuff on to the cabin under the eves – worked although creosote dissolved the gloves and I had to keep changing them so good thing that they came in packs of 50!

Andy

Continuing to fix roof on our log cabin observatory

This post follows on from our previous post:

Next stage of putting new shingles on roof of our log cabin/observatory in Lichfield

Rhys and I completed the rows of shingles on our observatory roof in our garden. The most difficult bit was the final row at the apex, which involved particular cuts of the shingles (as per IKO video on YouTube).

Rhys did most of the difficult work up on the roof of the log cabin today – and the final look of the roof is excellent due to his carefulness re: alignment, etc.

We tested the roof afterwards using a hosepipe and not a drop of water leaked inside so looks like a job well done. Very pleased.

Now I need to finish off the edges. I am going to paint the cabin with creosote (the real McCoy) and get it up into all the nooks and crannies I get reach under the edges of the shingles before tacking them down along the edge. I will then screw batons along the edges to hide the edges of the shingles and improve the look. I still need to pop into Tippers in Lichfield and buy these batons.

Today, Rhys and I walked down to Wilkes to buy paintbrushes, including an extendable one and another for getting around corners. All this effort is because the last time I painted the log cabin with creosote I got a little bit on my arm and it irritated it for a week. I will be wearing goggles and I have also bought some of those veterinary gloves that go right up your arms to protect me this time. Horrible stuff – but then since I painted the cabin with it three years ago there has been no more fungus appearing.

Andy

Next stage of putting new shingles on roof of our log cabin/observatory in Lichfield

Rhys and I addressed the back of the log cabin today. In a previous post I described how the roofing felt on the observatory was blown off in recent high winds and how I started the process of re-roofing the cabin with shingles. Ed Mann has meant me a ladder which is an absolute God-send for this work as the cabin is 2.4m high and I am a bit short! My own step ladder is not up to the task.

My son Rhys, also member of RAG, is somewhat taller than me and this really helped today as we successfully shingles all but one row and the apex of the back of the observatory together.

NB for anyone wondering we were not allowed to have an observatory or dome in our garden (household rules!) And in any case there are a lot of trees at bottom of garden which obscure views of sky and this was where the observatory had to go….so instead the log cabin has double doors and a ramp to allow the 16 inch Dobsonian on castors to roll out on to the lawn.

This follows from previous post:

New shingles on front of our observatory in Lichfield 11/5/2019

Andy

Next post in this series:

https://roslistonastronomy.uk/continuing-to-fix-roof-on-our-log-cabin-observatory

New shingles on front of our observatory in Lichfield 11/5/2019

Re-roofing hone observatory after previous roof blew off in recent storm. Today, got quite a bit of front done. The tarpaulin is a temporary cover tacked down between repair sessions to previous ingress water before the new roof if water-proof. Rhys and I have never done this before so lots of lookong at videos on YouTube. Hopefully we have got it right!

Andy

Next post in series:

Next stage of putting new shingles on roof of our log cabin/observatory in Lichfield