I often get a similar effect (green images) with the PD when I am doing an extreme stretch. I put it down to a cheap camera! I reduce it by stretching the luminance only and then trim it using “curves” on the individual colours. However, the GIMP light pollution routine you posted does a pretty good job. What do you think of this? I simply used repair or clone on the main galaxy despeckled layer before setting its mode to subtract.
Process used in detail:
- Duplicate image
- Despeckle top layer – set radius to max, black to 0 white to max uncheck recursive and adaptive.
- Despeckle layer now has blob over M101. Get rid of it using clone or repair
- Set mode of despeckle layer to subtract
- Merge down
Looks much better now. Do need to fit in dismantled HEQ5 Pro and EQ6 Pro on its new mobile base but otherwise this will be as it will (hopefully) continue to be!
Marquee now close to empty – red telescope is for sale. Large pile in corner is all going too.
For some reason today, WordPress insists on putting two of the images upside down, whatever I do!
Small but interesting prominences this morning after very little for the last few days.
Unexpectedly, the sky cleared for a couple of hours tonight and I whizzed outside to take another picture of M101 – this time trying to use everything I have learnt so far, in order to see whether I could improve on my previous image taken early in my astrophotography journey.
Photo taken using QHY10 single shot colour astro camera on Sky Watcher Equinox 80mm Pro OTA, mounted on Sky Watcher HEQ5 Pro mount.
Most of processing done in Nebulosity 4 software (the Digital Development function and synthetic flat field were used – even though I also used flat frames I have previously taken – makes me wonder if my setup has moved since flat frames taken as synthetic flat frame did help when I processed this image), and some tweaking in GIMP.
I am happy with amount of detail, including some tiny galaxies evident on the image.
A friend has lent me 6 x 4m marquee and I am using the opportunity to sort out my shed at last! A lot of this stuff needs to go….Astronomy Buy and Sell and ebay, here I come!
Shed and marquee:
My astronomy equipment inside marquee:
This pile is the stuff I need to get rid of, so far – i am expecting it to grow!
I have processed the following image on my lonesome today (following Damian’s advice from yesterday) – I think I am very happy with this attempt! Shows plenty of colours – not just red – and plenty of detail.
The picture below was processed by myself 25/9/2019 under the direction and supervision of Damian using my own data that I have described previously. When Damian previously processed this data, he used Photoshop and a synthetic flat frame. However, this time around we took a set of flat frames at -10 C for 4 seconds each and incorporated this in the Nebulosity 4 software initial processing of the subs. All subsequent processing was done in GIMP.
Click on link below to download ZIP file containing QHY Polemaster Camera manuals and windows drivers as of 26/9/2019.
QHY Polemaster Manuals and WIndows drivers 26/9/2019