Fixing broken timer on Eppendorf 5315c centrifuge



 



The bargain centrifuge has one problem.. …the timer didn’t work – it was like this when I bought it from ebay. I purchased a new timer from America (see previous posts). It arrived today and I spent an enjoyable hour dismantling the centrifuge and replacing the timer. A lot of dirt and much inside after 30-40 years and the timer was all rusted up. It is spring driven – I know, unbelievable in this digital age! The new timer is supposed to be the same but in fact the casing is slightly different shape so out came my hammer and pliers to bend the bracket it fixes to in the centrifuge to a accommodate the new one. After modification the bracket could only be reattached at one end so my trusty glue gun sorted out the other side. Sounds Heath Robinson but all worked well enough and you can’t see anything once the case is put back together.

What impresses me most is that I have managed to fix this without the help of Ed or Led or Pete – great guys, really helpful, but I am pleased to manage to do it myself this time.

Andy

Leave a Reply